2020-08-16

Note: 6 Things to NEVER say to your kids

 


Source URL: https://youtu.be/o2Gg2K0_Qe8

Dr Justin Coulson

Parenting expert


War of words

Things parents should never say to their kids.



So to speak

The harm of telling your kid to calm down.

❌Calm down.

 Dismiss their emotion

✅I can see you're upset. 

 

Give thanks

The problem with parents giving praise.

eg: You're so clever.

 

❌You're so clever!.

 

✅How did you feel when....

 


You do you

The danger of comparing your kids to others.

eg: You just like your father/mother.


❌
Urgh, you're just like your mother.

 

✅Wow, this is really challenging for you.

 

Unhelpful Uttering

Should parents ban "Because I said so"?

eg: You just like your father/mother.


❌
Because I said so.

 

✅Well there is a reason that I asked....


No kidding

How to avoid teaching victim mentality

eg: You just like your father/mother.


❌
I was lousy at that.

 

✅It's amazing what we can do when we try.


All the rage

How to respond in the heat of the moment

eg: You just like your father/mother.


❌
What a stupid thing to do.

 

✅Say nothing.




















No comments:

Google Referrals